Now that winter break has sadly come to an end, I’m finally able to complete my report on our family’s favorite movies of 2018. You see, although these all came out last year, I had to wait until this past week to actually see some of them!
Without further ado, here are our
fivesix favorite movies of 2018 – something for every member of the family.
- Aquaman. The hype surrounding this comic-inspired action flick was intense – but now that I’ve seen it, it was well worth the wait and totally lived up to the buzz! Now, I’ll freely admit that I’m predisposed to love anything about the ocean and merpeople, but Aquaman was all that and more. Even those who aren’t already huge fans of Jason Momoa will appreciate his all-in performance, as well as the incredible costumes, music, visuals and non-stop action. It’s a long movie and there are many different worlds and characters, but stay with it – it all comes together in the end. I can’t wait to see it again! I went to see this with our 16-year old, but will absolutely take Z too as I think she would love it.
- Ralph Breaks the Internet. If your family loves the original Wreck-it Ralph as much as we do, then you’re sure to be fans of the sequel. Ralph and Vanellope get into even more shenanigans and the overall message of trusting and letting go when you love someone will resonate with just about anyone, but especially parents. There are so many inside jokes here about the Internet, various apps and even the Disney princesses – adults and kids alike will be entertained. Gal Gadot is a standout as the villain, Shank. I love the strong female role models we continue to get from the Wreck-it Ralph franchise!
- The Incredibles 2. I was not the world’s biggest fan of the original Incredibles movie – thought it was cute, but just okay – so I was very pleasantly surprised by this sequel. It perfectly portrays a working mom’s world and dilemma – and the baby (Jack-Jack) is adorable and hilarious. We actually went to see this twice in one weekend – it was that enjoyable and entertaining.
- Black Panther. I couldn’t wait to see Black Panther in the theatre and was utterly and completely blown away. The twin themes of African empowerment and female empowerment were skillfully illustrated and enthusiastically appreciated by me; this was another film I had to see multiple times in the theatre. While it’s a bit too graphically violent for my 8 year old for now, I look forward to sharing it with her in the not too distant future. Wakanda forever!
- A Star is Born. I loved absolutely everything about this movie – from the music to the acting performances – except of course the the heartbreaking ending. Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper deserve EVERY possible award for this incredible re-make and its soundtrack. I sobbed my way through the ending and I have no idea how I made it out of the theatre. Just hearing the songs on the radio makes me tear up every time, and it’s been months since I saw it. If you enjoy a good weep now and then, this is your flick! And this one is definitely for adults only.
- Bonus: Bohemian Rhapsody. I couldn’t stop at just five this time, because I also loved the Queen/Freddy Mercury biopic. Rami Malek, one of my favorite actors, was staggeringly fabulous in the Freddy role! I already love him in Mr. Robot (on Netflix) and seeing him literally embody and become Freddy was the absolute best. If you like Queen’s music even a little, you will LOVE this film. This is another one I saw without the kiddos.
So there you have it – our top
five six favorite movies of 2018. Did you have other favorites that aren’t on this list? I’d love to hear in the comments below or over on Facebook!
And if you liked this post, you may want to check out the others in my Friday Favorites series.