Like so many during this global pandemic, I have found myself jobseeking and hitting many frustrating dead ends.
I’ve had a tremendous marketing communications career spanning more than 25 years and I am fortunate to still love what I do. However, I think it’s time to do things a little differently.
During all this extra time at home, I’ve had the opportunity to really get some clarity around what truly matters. I have a better understanding of what makes the perfect job for me – and the kind of people, organizations and brands I can best serve.
I am looking for more balance in my life, with the flexibility to be able to walk the dogs, visit Z’s school on special event days (assuming we ever go back to real school) and even catch lunch with the hubby once in a while.
Moving forward, I would also like to serve individuals, small businesses, nonprofits, agencies and organizations I’m proud of and with whom I can enthusiastically share my talents, counsel and support because they are doing great things first and communicating about them second.
Does it sound like I’m out for a dream job? One that gives me flexibility, work-life balance and purpose? You’re absolutely right.
And since I’ve been looking for about six months now but haven’t found that dream job – I’ve decided to create it for myself. Beginning August 2020, I’m launching Communications Director For Hire, a way for small businesses, start-ups and nonprofits to get the seasoned, strategic communications consulting and talent they need – but thought they couldn’t afford – on an affordable, part-time basis.
I’m thrilled to dive in deep with people and companies with whom I’ve worked in the past, as well as meet a whole new group of prospective clients and learn about new brands and issues.
The work we do
I am an experienced, enthusiastic Communications Director and can provide full or part-time strategy, counsel and hands-on implementation in all aspects of public relations and marketing communications. I have special expertise in digital, social and online communications, including content and social strategy, community building and management, blogger and influencer relations and social media training and education.
I have a special knack for online reputation management, content and community development, media and influencer relations and of course all things blog related including blog creation and management, blogging and influencer outreach.
No communications project is too small. For example, I am currently coaching a local solopreneur on how to improve her social media and blogging practices. I’ve also worked with and for Fortune 500 companies and multinationals.
My experience spans a wide range of industries, issues and markets, but I see my sweet spot as nonprofits and small to medium sized businesses in the following areas:
- Agencies needing extra assistance for overflow projects. I’ve spent the majority of my career at marketing communications agencies both large and small – I’m perfectly suited to help them!
- Organizations serving and working to advance the interests of women and children
- Nonprofits and small businesses supporting the BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color) and LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex and Asexual) communities
- Travel, tourism and destination marketing organizations
- Authors, artists, visionaries and creators of new experiences and adventures
- Economic and community development entities
- Restaurants and food brands
- Tattoo artists and tattoo industry companies and brands
- Organizations and brands relating to the key areas in which I already blog as Lewis Center Mom: family fun, travel, health and safety, women’s issues, relationships and mental health (especially pediatric).
If you or someone you know is in need of professional, senior-level communications help with a project, issue, brand or company, please reach out to me by email at lara at larakretler dot com (you’ll have to change the @ and the . but that helps keep out the spam bots).
I must admit that I’ve enjoyed full-time momming, blogging and working on my novel over the past several months. Now I’m excited to add something else I’ve always wanted to do: hang out a shingle and start my own business. I hope I can be of service to you soon!