Sweet treats. Dessert. Cookies. Candy.
If the idea of eating s’mores by the pool in Hawaii makes you feel all warm and tingly, then this is the roundup post for you.
We love sweets around here. I’ve had a sweet tooth all my life; how else do you think I got this sweet?!
I used to fight my love of sugary treats, but since about 2021 I’ve simply accepted it as part of me. This happened naturally as part of my overall work to radically accept and love myself exactly as I am.
Sweets are about so much more than just a good taste in our mouths. Candy takes us to a happy place. Sweet treats can comfort us in times of sadness – or they can be part of a happy celebration.
For me, certain sweets conjure up the magic and nostalgia of childhood. Haribo gummies transport me back to the sunny days when my brother and I would ride our bikes into downtown Northport and spend all our allowance at the penny candy store in town.
English sweets like Maltesers and Turkish Delight takes me right back to childhood trips across the Atlantic to visit my grandparents and other relatives in England. Hello dolly bars (also known as Magic bars or 7-layer-bars) will always remind me of my Mommers, who baked them for me with pure love.
Even as an adult, I’ve developed nostalgic memories around sweets: for example, pie will always remind me of my sister-in-law, who makes the most incredible homemade fresh cherry and custard pies I’ve ever tasted.
Since I prefer writing about things I love, it only makes sense that I’ve blogged a ton about all things sugary. Here’s a roundup of all our posts about sweet things:
- I scream for Cadbury Screme Eggs – an ode to one of my favorite candies of all time, the Cadbury Creme Egg in all its forms.
- Raising a non sugar monster – I wrote this back in the days when I still saw sugar as a demon to be avoided. That said, I do think we did a good job raising Zoe to not have any issues around sugar!
- A kid in a candy store – Back when we still had a See’s candy store at Easton, I got invited to a special VIP event there. Here you’ll learn why I love See’s so much.
- Friday Favorites: best international sweets on Amazon – I’m a huge fan of exotic candy from other countries and continents – and thanks to Amazon, you can be one, too.
- Our cupcake tour roundup – Here’s another roundup post. Z and I used to be all about cupcakes back in the day; remember when cupcakes were trendy?
- Macarons are the new cupcake – Right around when we stopped chasing cupcakes, we started chasing macarons. I’ve never looked back.
- I want candy – delivered to my door – I’m still waiting for my favorite local candy store to start candy-bombing people using drones. It’s going to happen someday, and I volunteer as tribute.
- Be a kid again at Buckeye Candy Co. – Speaking of my favorite local candy store, here’s our post about them! If you love candy like I do, you have to visit their gorgeous new Gahanna location.
- Hello Kitty Food Truck purrs into Easton – Did you know they have food trucks full of adorable, kawaii sweets? This is one of our touring favorites.
- The cinnamon bun tour starts here – At Z’s request, we also did a cinnamon bun tour of Columbus. Many glasses of milk were consumed.
- A continuation of our popular cinnamon bun tour – Did you know central Ohio had this many amazing cinnamon buns? Neither did we – but yum!
- International ice cream delights – if you’re only eating familiar American-style ice cream, you are missing out on a world of fabulous frozen flavors right here in Columbus.
- New for 2021: the best cookies in Columbus – no roundup of sweet treats would be complete without everyone’s favorite: cookies! And boy, are there some delicious options here.
That’s probably enough sweet stuff for now. Let’s all go drink some water, brush our teeth – and dream of the next delicious sweets we’ll sample!
As always, if there are local or faraway places you think we should visit and review, do let me know in the comments below or over on Facebook or Instagram.